February 2, 2011

KITTEHS!

Today, I spent about 5 hours total (possibly more) looking online at different volunteering websites for animal shelters. I had recently applied to the California Wildlife Center in case I want to become a Zoo Veterinarian versus just a domestic one. After waiting several days, I got an email saying that I was a good candidate! Butttt I lived too far (six months/once a week commitment). Little did I know, the center is in Malibu (I'm still not even sure if that's where it's located.....), and I thought it was in Santa Monica (which is still pretty far, but I figured it would be worth it). Seriously though, animal shelter sites need to work on making sure they have a CLEARLY STATED address and office hours.. just sayin'... :P Anyway, I surprisingly wasn't too disappointed in being rejected! I think that was because I had spent an hour prior to receiving the rejection email online looking at domestic animal shelters, specifically kitten shelters. I'm so excited! Hehehe. I think my main love is for the feline family.. Kitties and lions please :)<3 (Don't get me wrong, dogs come in as a close second!) Well, I've sent emails to four shelters, two of which have already responded (most volunteer programs like these accept most "applicants"). But I was actually more interested in the other two, so I'm just waiting for a response..

After I was done browsing volunteer opportunities and reviews on the shelters, I somehow wandered into the adoption galleries =X  At first I was just looking at pictures of the adorable kittens and I stumbled on the "Special Needs" section. Oh. my. The freaking CUTEST kitties ever with the most heart-tugging stories.  Some are missing an eye or both, blind, legs paralyzed, FIV (feline AIDS), FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus), abused, heart failure, Megacolon, three-legged.. you name it!  Not surprisingly, I shed some tears during the process... To keep from making this any more depressing.. I read about the success stories, and those made me cry happy tears!  One kitten that I read about was hit by a car and her front two legs were paralyzed, but after tons of TLC, she can walk!  Mind you, with a limp, but what a beautiful imperfection!  Another went into heart failure but completely miraculously (hehe thanks God) healed after three months! aeofijaoeiwfaewf I was dying (of goodness) from all these stories of struggle, hope, and endurance.  And that.. that is why I want to become a Veterinarian.

So that is my little spiel for that... and now, I want you to meet...



 Thumper

Thumper has a curvature and gap in her spinal cord.  She has spina bifida and her back legs are permanently paralyzed.  She is also completely incontinent.  She had a urinary tract infection, but that was easily healed.  Here she is :)



Because she's incontinent, she has to wear little kitty diapers!!



I think the word "needs" should be taken out.  SPECIAL kitten. :)

Full story is here. <3

Just wanted to share some furry goodness! : )

1 comment: